Journal Entry – Find one discussion point per chapter for Ch. 1-6
Reading guide for Malcolm X:
This week – Ch. 1-6
Next (May 8 – 12) – Ch. 7-12
May 15-19 – Ch. 13-19
Essay on Ella Baker Book – DUE FRIDAY MAY 5th
- 6 paragraphs
2. Chicago style citation with at least 4 citations from the book
3. Choose ONE prompt from the following:
a. How does the activist work of Ella Baker help us better understand the overall movement for Black freedom in the 20th century?
b. What are the racial, class, and gender dynamics of the American Civil Rights movement, based on Ransby’s book?
c. How was Ella Baker’s life both the exception and the rule to racial, class, and gender dynamics of America in the first half of the 20th century?
Journal entry: What have you learned about the civil rights movement through reading this book? Feel free to focus on positive and negative aspects of the movement, specific groups, actions, and/or individuals.
Do a journal entry responding to this speech by Ella Baker:
Journal entry on ch. 1 – 3 of Ella Baker
Semester Research Paper – Due May 19th
Share out about Great Migration research and wrap up discussion – What is the significance of the Great Migration to the status of African-Americans today?
Be ready to begin discussing Ella Baker tomorrow.
- Watched in class: https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/470481/a-thousand-midnights-a-short-film-examines-the-legacy-of-the-great-migration/
- Finish and share Great Migration research paper over break
- Read Ch. 1-3 in Ella Baker
Great Migration Research Project
- Essential Question: What was the Great Migration and how significant was it to shaping America in the 20th century?
- 2 pages
- Chicago style citation using four sources (at least two should be primary sources)